We have a favorite breakfast around here. I’m inspired to share it with you after reading this article about Breakfast Bowls.
One of the minor reasons we choose to homeschool is nutrition. I don’t want to be handing my kids a muffin and a yogurt and rushing them out the door in the morning. I want them to wake up, eat a good breakfast, and get excited for their school day. Over breakfast we talk about our plans for the day. Some of us are more grumpy in the morning, some wake up ready to rock the day. But we all wake up hungry.
Our family’s version of the Breakfast Bowl is simple. We call it a Pile of Happy.
- Take a potato. Bake it, microwave it, boil it…whatever works for you. Squish it up in a bowl with some butter.
- Cook 1-2 eggs – poached, sunnyside up, over easy. Whatever. The key here is an intact yolk. We like our yolks on the slimy side. You cook your eggs the way you want them.
- Put the eggs on the potato.
- Add cheese, salt, and pepper. Mash it all around so the eggs, cheese, butter, and potato meld into a mixed-up mash.
That’s the basic. The most simple. But you can add whatever to it and make it even happier. Some of our additions have been (or frequently are):
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
- Cottage cheese
- Bacon bits
- Fresh tomato
- Smoked Salmon
- Leftovers that will work well
- Anything else we are inspired to add
Why the name? At one point we made this for breakfast. We looked at the sunny egg in the bowl, surrounded by cheese and sighed.
“That just looks like a pile of happy.”
And so it is.